- BENEFITS OF GOING TO AN OPEN DAY Advice for sixth formers from a fellow student on The UCAS Blog. See https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/benefits-going-open-day-or-two-or-three…
- WHAT IS IT LIKE TO BE A SPORTS LAWYER. Jason Saiban, of Charles Russell Speechlys, reveals what is involved in the role and how he got there. See https://careers-in-sport.co.uk/careers/sports-lawyer-jason-saiban/
- Careers in Sport Live 2018: Thursday 1st November, Surrey Sports Park, Guildford. Now in its fifth year, Careers in Sport Live provides an in-depth analysis of the different careers available in the world of sport, health and fitness. See https://careers-in-sport.co.uk/careers-sport-live/
- UNIVERSITY TASTER COURSES IN LONDON IN APRIL AND MAY. The taster courses are free to attend and open to year 12 sixth form students or anyone considering starting their undergraduate studies in September 2019. You can find more details about each taster course and how to apply by clicking on the title of your preferred taster course above. Cass Business School is one of City, University of London’s five Schools. It’s among Europe’s leading business schools and in the global elite of business schools that hold the gold standard of ‘triple-crown’ accreditation. During the taster courses above there will be mock-lectures, student panels so you can meet and ask questions to current students, a tour of the campus and a free lunch is also provided. See https://london.ac.uk/taster-course-search .
- Oxbridge Applications: Subject Taster Days. These subject taster days are designed to help develop students’ university-level thinking beyond the school syllabus and perform well at interview. See http://www.oxbridgeapplications.com/courses/subject-taster-days/
- ARCITECTURE. Intensive but Fun: All You Need to Know About Studying Architecture. The course involves long hours and a huge workload, but it can be hugely rewarding and can give you the skills for a range of careers. See https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/apr/18/degree-guide-studying-architecture-design
- AACOUNTANCY. PwC Flying Start Degree Programmes. If you want to go to university, but are also keen to begin your career, PwC’s Flying Start Degree Programmes offer the best of both worlds. Register your interest and check out the upcoming open days. See https://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/school-jobs/jobs/flying-start-degrees.html
- Investment Banking, Medicine, Engineering, Law, and Politics. Please see the message from UCL – We are delighted to invite your students to attend our summer schedule of career-experience programmes at University College, London (UCL). Throughout July, high-ranking professionals from the most illustrious careers – Investment Banking, Medicine, Engineering, Law, and Politics – will be coaching 15-18 year-olds through an inspirational journey of interactive case studies and engaging content; giving them a 360-degree experience of professional life. This is a fantastic opportunity for your students to sow the seeds for a successful future, by: 1) Learning from accomplished executives in a live, interactive environment. 2) Being coached on exactly how to break into these rewarding careers; and 3) Meeting talented, ambitious students from around the world in the heart of one of the UK’s most prestigious universities. In addition, students will have a unique, outstanding experience to include in their university application forms. Our July schedule is as follows:
Two-Day Programmes (UCL accommodation available)
The Young Doctor Summer Programme: UCL, Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th July
The Young Investment Banker Summer Programme: UCL, Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th July
The Young Lawyer Programme: UCL, Saturday July 14th
The Young Politician Programme: UCL, Sunday July 15th
The Young Engineer Programme: UCL, Saturday July 21st
Please note that neither I nor Wellington have vetted or significantly researched these opportunities. They have been selected due to being of potential interest to pupils and assumed to be supported by a recognised institution and thus thought to be worthy of note. Do please carry out your own research and do please let me know if you have any opinions on these opportunities, good or bad, so this service can be improved. If any course you are interested in is during term time make sure you seek HM permission to miss any of your school commitments before you book a place on the course.