- Summer Camps for Medical Careers 2018. Please see the message from “Premed Projects” – As a former teacher I understand the challenges your students face when it comes to deciding on whether or not to pursue medicine as a career. That’s why we founded Premed Projects a few years back to meet the genuine needs of students looking to go into healthcare careers. Our proven summer camps have been the basis for thousands of students applications to medicine who have entrusted us to help them decide if a career in medicine is for them and to give them the necessary work experience for their applications. The camps are for students aged 16 – 18 years old so feel free to let them know about how they could spend this summer. I’d love to answer your students questions, you can direct them to www.premedprojects.co.uk to find out more information.
- EXETER UNIVERSITY, PRE-UNIVERSITY SUMMER SCHOOL IN LAW AND MEDICINE. This is for students in the sixth form or those starting the sixth form in September. This is a chance for you to gain an insight into life of your chosen discipline. See https://www.exeter.ac.uk/international/preunisummerschool/
- ENGINEERING SCHOLARSHIPS. There are a number of awards that are on offer for those studying engineering at university.
- Oxford and Cambridge: Will Elite Universities go Private and Raise Fees? Income loss from the tuition fees cap could prompt a break from state control, which other institutions might follow. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/apr/17/oxford-cambridge-universities-private-raise-fees
- UNIVERSITY TASTER COURSES. The School of Business, Economics & Informatics at Birkbeck, University of London is running the following free university taster courses next week on Thursday 26 April 2018 for sixth form students.
- Accounting, Business, and Marketing. (Department of Management). Thursday 26 April 2018, 11am – 1pm, details/apply
- Computer Science and Information Systems. Thursday 26 April 2018, 11am – 1pm, details/apply
- Economics, Mathematics and Statistics. Thursday 26 April 2018, 11am – 1pm, details/apply
- Business Psychology. Thursday 26 April 2018, 11am – 1pm, details/apply
Places are limited and offered on a first-come first-served basis so it is recommended you apply right away.
- EY DEGREE APPRENTICESHIPS. EY have a range of higher and degree apprenticeships on offer which you can apply for now. EY’s 4 degree apprenticeships in Digital Innovation help clients understand the impact of digital changes on their business – and within Digital Innovation, you can choose to specialise in Tax, Assurance, Consulting or Transactions. EY’s Business Apprenticeship is a higher apprenticeship scheme and you can pick from 2 areas – Assurance & Tax. See https://successatschool.org/jobscourses?empUniId=100&searchType=Apprenticeship&utm_source=School+Admin+Registrations&utm_campaign=be93fab1b1-EY_Business_Academy_Apr_2018_School_Admins&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f09eb3b2c8-be93fab1b1-211996465&goal=0_f09eb3b2c8-be93fab1b1-211996465&mc_cid=be93fab1b1&mc_eid=87dccfb0d5
- STUDYING MEDICINE IN MALTA. Queen Mary University of London, a Russell Group university, is offering a five-year Medicine MBBS Malta (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) undergraduate programme for September 2018 entry. The programme is the same as our MBBS programme delivered in London in terms of its content, method of delivery and selection criteria. Students who have applied to study Medicine may find this an interesting option as they still have the opportunity to apply for MBBS Malta. Candidates apply directly to the university, not via UCAS. Therefore, if students have already applied to a UK Medical School for 2018 entry, they can still also apply for the MBBS Malta in addition to their four UCAS Medicine choices.
A levels: AAB minimum
- A in Chemistry or Biology
- A in another Science or Maths (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Maths)
- B in any A level except Critical Thinking, General Studies or Further Maths
International Baccalaureate: minimum 37 points in total
- You must offer: three subjects, including Chemistry or Biology and one other science or mathematical subject at Higher Level, and three subjects at Standard Level including Chemistry or Biology if not offered at the Higher Level.
- Minimum of 6 points in the Higher Level science subjects and 5 points in the third Higher Level subject
UKCAT is required with a minimum score of 2331
Application deadline: Saturday 30 June 2018 (for September 2018 entry)
Scholarships: QMUL is offering a number of scholarships to Medicine MBBS Malta candidates, awarded on the basis of academic merit. Please visit the website for more information.
Tuition fees: The annual tuition fee is €35,000 for UK, EU, and international (non-EU) students. Fees and living costs will need to be self-funded and students are not eligible for a student loan from the Student Loans Company.
Please note that neither I nor Wellington have vetted or significantly researched these opportunities. They have been selected due to being of potential interest to pupils and assumed to be supported by a recognised institution and thus thought to be worthy of note. Do please carry out your own research and do please let me know if you have any opinions on these opportunities, good or bad, so this service can be improved.
If any course you are interested in is during term time make sure you seek HM permission to miss any of your school commitments before you book a place on the course.