HE & Careers issues for week 11 are as follows:
- THE DEGREES THAT MAKE YOU RICH… AND THE ONES THAT DON’T. Hundreds of thousands of young people are in the process of applying to university and their choices can make a huge difference to future earnings. read more
- BATH UNIVERSITY (1). There are some good opportunities for you to sample student life at the University of Bath. We are taking bookings for 2 free Spotlight Sessions in February 2018 and 2 residential Uni Taster programmes next summer.
Spotlight on Social Sciences – Criminology, Education with Psychology, International Development with Economics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Social Policy, Social Work This is an academic event for Year 11 and 12 students with workshops taken from the University’s social sciences degree programmes. The event will take place on Thursday 1st February 2018 at the University of Bath campus from 09:30 – 15:00. During the day pupils will be able to: find out more about our social sciences related degree programmes, tour the university campus, meet and learn from lecturers and researchers, attend two social science workshops (workshops in the following subjects will be offered: Criminology, Education with Psychology, International Development with Economics, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, Social Policy, Social Work), meet students studying our degrees, find out about placement opportunities, careers and employability. This free-of-charge event is being offered to a number of schools and we will accept schools on a ‘first-come’ basis. In order to apply to take part in the event, teachers need to please e-mail Stephanie Gan to obtain a booking form…..if you are interested contact me Ewart, Christopher CBE@wellingtoncollege.org.uk.
- BATH UNIVERSITY (2) – Spotlight on Sport, Exercise & Health. This is an academic event for Year 11 and 12 students with interactive workshops taken from the University’s prestigious sports degree programmes, and a chance to tour Bath’s world-class sports facilities and meet our athletes. The event will take place on Friday 2nd February 2018 at the University of Bath campus from 10:00 – 15:00. During the day, pupils will get to: find out more about the prestigious sports degree programmes offered by the University of Bath, tour our outstanding sports facilities and laboratories, meet and learn from University lecturers and researchers, attend 2 sport workshops, meet some of our athletes and students studying our sports degrees, find out about placements, careers and employability, receive information, advice and guidance about making your UCAS application stand out. This free-of-charge event is being offered to a number of schools and we will accept schools on a ‘first-come’ basis. In order to apply to take part in the event, teachers need to please e-mail Stephanie Gan to obtain a booking form. …..if you are interested contact me Ewart, Christopher CBE@wellingtoncollege.org.uk.
- BATH UNIVERSITY (3). There are two Summer Residentials 2018 – Uni Tasters – 3-day programmes. These short residential programmes are for high-achieving students in year 12. Over three days on campus they will learn from world-class academics and researchers, develop their subject knowledge and explore a range of disciplines taught at the University of Bath. For further details and booking info please go to: http://www.bath.ac.uk/events/residential-uni-taster-for-humanities-and-social-sciences/ and http://www.bath.ac.uk/events/residential-uni-taster-for-science-and-engineering/
- SUMMER 2018 RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES FOR YEAR 12 STUDENTS. For those interested in following a STEM subject through to university you may be interested in undertaking a 4 week placement in industry. For more information see http://www.setpointherts.org.uk/nuffield-research-placements/4576223228 . If you are interested in this placement then you need to contact me asap for a reference to be written for you.
- UNIVERSITY TASTER COURSES AT KCL. There are still limited places available on the English Language & Linguistics, Film Studies and Children’s Nursing taster courses all taking place this week on Wednesday 29 November 2017 at King’s College London. Are you passionate about cinema and thinking about studying film at university? If so then apply now to the Film Studies taster course to find out more. Are you interested in how language works? Love using language in different ways? Fascinated by English as the common language in multilingual areas, such as London? Find out more at the English Language & Linguistics taster course. Are you interested in caring for children, young people and their families in hospital, community and primary healthcare settings? If so, find out more at the Children’s Nursing taster course. All our taster courses are all free to attend and aimed at current sixth form students. There are limited places available so sign up now to your preferred taster course/s by following the relevant link/s below or at london.ac.uk/tasters.
- NEW BUSINESS ENGINEERING PROGRAMME AT MAASTRICHT UNIVERSITY If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, enjoy experimenting with different ideas and want to use new technology to make the world a better place, then the bachelor’s programme in Business Engineering at Maastricht University could be for you. read more
- UNIVERSITY OF CHICARGO SUMMER PROGRAMMS. The University of Chicago Summer Session programs draw from the interdisciplinary emphasis and intellectual richness of the College’s Core curriculum. During Summer Session, students can explore any of nearly 100 credit-bearing courses—from “Biotechnology for the 21st Century” to “The Physics of Stars: Their Structure and Evolution” and more—or engage with a number of programs taught at the college level but designed exclusively for high school students. Those programs include:
- College Pathway Programs: Three-week immersion courses in subjects such as Economics, Neuroscience, Molecular Engineering, and Human Rights at UChicago. Each course features guest lectures by faculty members from across the university who specialize in the field. Learn what makes UChicago one of the most innovative universities in the world!
- UChicago Immersions: A selection of courses designed to provide high school students with in-depth and hands-on learning at an undergraduate level in subjects such as developmental psychology, law, and biotechnology.
- Research in the Biological Sciences (RIBS): Extensive training in laboratory research techniques and methods.
- Stones and Bones: Study geology and excavate fossils with Field Museum Distinguished Service Curator Dr. Lance Grande at a site with a 52-million-year old community of extinct organisms.
- Arts & Sciences Summer in Chicago: Team-taught interdisciplinary program focused on thinking critically and cultivating a multidisciplinary approach to answer big questions.
- Admissions Academy: Additionally, along with any summer opportunity, students can take part in workshops that focus on the holistic admissions process, provide insights on admission to highly selective colleges and universities, and offer essay writing tips.
Please find in this email a link to the Summer Session website, where you can learn more about summer opportunities at the University of Chicago. An informative brochure may be found here for you to forward or print. If you have any further questions about the University of Chicago Summer Session, please email us at email@example.com. The application for UChicago Summer Session opens soon at summer.uchicago.edu.
Please note that neither I nor Wellington have vetted or significantly researched these opportunities. They have been selected due to being of potential interest to pupils and assumed to be supported by a recognised institution and thus thought to be worthy of note. Do please carry out your own research and do please let me know if you have any opinions on these opportunities, good or bad, so this service can be improved.